Sunday 27 May 2012

Crutches and Frustration

A bit of a rant today. Yesterday while teaching spin I heard and felt a pop in my ankle. Being me, I slowed down, assessed and since it didn't feel too bad I kept going. I even taught my second spin class 30 minutes later. Unfortunately afterward I ended up having to attend the emergency room. I went to the hospital rather than a clinic because I felt I needed an X-ray and couldn't get that at a clinic. Why do I find this process so frustrating when it works so well for some people? Let me explain. My friend goes to the doctor with a sore leg and seems to get really thorough care, or at least it seems like that from the outside. referrals happen, she is thoroughly examined and she knows for sure what is happening. Fast forward to my injury. When the nurse greets me he has already decided I have plantar fasciitis. I have had that 20 years ago and this aint it! I tell him that my pain isn't in the right spots and he dismisses me. One touch to my ankle and he is gone. The doctor comes in and listens to my story and without touching me decides which muscle is pulled and/or torn. What about the searing pain under my foot, I ask? Well, there is a lot going on in there he says. Do you think I need an X-ray to rule out a stress fracture where the under foot pain is I ask? He says I should see my doctor next week and if she feels I need one then go...in the meantime to be safe, use crutches. REALLY? Why not get the X-ray done and diagnose rather than guess? I am so tired of people guessing wants wrong at my expense. Today from my perch on the couch I am doing some research to find out where I go from here. I want an X-ray to check the bones in my foot and a referral to someone that knows something about sports medicine and won't just pull a guess out of their butt to explain my left leg and it's issues. I will also be trying to figure out how to teach from a chair.. Should be an interesting week. Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment